Friday 28 February 2014

7 - Best Math Practices

Would you mark a student wrong for their spelling on a test?

Clearly that is an open-ended question and in an English/L.A. class, probably. Well - what if this was a math test and student was asked to explain how to add fractions? Would you still deduct marks for spelling denominator incorrectly? (if the outcome is to add fractions)

What if a student uses a clock analogy to explain how to add fractions that their tutor showed them (1/4 plus 1/4 is one-half of an hour) and the next day, was told that it was not the prescribed way that they learned in class, and so it was marked incorrect?

I am told that both of the above scenarios happened. Part of me is not surprised. 

Math. Just using the "m"-word in certain circles could start a fight. Whether it is PISA (international assessment) results, comments from post-secondary professors, parent-initiated petitions, etc., the newer style of learning math is very controversial right now. People either love or hate it - it seems polarizing and there is a growing hatred, even in the media (David Staples). 



I'm going to make a bold statement: In my opinion, I think math should make sense. (clearly that sentence should be safe in any room) The entire goal of the new philosophy was to ensure students don't only know a prescribed formula for math processes - they should understand why things work and have a deeper understanding. If that makes sense....then maybe the issue is with implementation. If a teacher interprets new math as a need to learn by many methods instead of one that makes sense, could misinterpreting a philosophy be the biggest danger to our students? 



If I explain to students WHY the method below works, instead of just learning the process, shouldn't that be sufficient?  Again, math is supposed to make sense.



If I forced a student to learn three different ways and grade them on all of them, I don't think that is making things any more clear. The intent of the new philosophy is for students to find a way that works for them. If the approach above works, use it. If a number of students struggle THEN let's move on and try something else.


NEW VS OLD : The battle
My wife is an elementary teacher, and it is almost a faux-pas to do "mad minutes" (timed drills to encourage memorization of multiplication tables). WHAT?! Why?! Why is being able to recall numbers so terrible that we needed to abolish that practice?

I WANT  NEED my students in grade eleven to answer "8 times 6" by heart. Not all of them can. Because of this, scaffolding concepts like factoring becomes a struggle.

Why don't we simply incorporate understanding with recall? I want my students to know 8 times 6 by heart AND know what it means. Instead, it has become new math vs old math. One or the other. Let's add "inquiry" and "discovery" into the system that created us. Don't let anyone say it is one or the other. It should not be a battle.

I'm not against any philosophy of trying to make math make sense. I'm not 100% happy with how it math is going either. My student's lack of confidence as they type 7 x 1 into their calculator at 16-years of age is evident of that. 


Maybe we need to stop thinking that everything needs to be polarized. New vs. Old.  Good vs. Bad. Maybe all that matters is how well we implement and execute. 

3 comments:

  1. YES! I routinely have students get questions wrong, because they have to do 18 - 0 / 3 (or something similar) in their calculator, and get 18! AAAAGH

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an expert on the current secondary math teaching methods, but I agree with you, Shawn - it's good to present different methods for reaching the same result, but let the students use the method that makes sense for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! It's a mix of both methods, using mathematical understanding to work towards fluency. They rely on each other.

    ReplyDelete