Monday 17 March 2014

13 - Assessment

I grew up without the internet. An encyclopedia rivaled the teacher because of the information it held. At this point in my life, whoever could remember the most facts was generally the most intelligent person in the class. 

There is a big push go back to the "traditional" methods. While I know there is so many sides to every discussion right now and my previous comments might be debatable because they are exaggerated, I'll use a very simplified example to explain why 20-year-old approaches might be dangerous. Click on the two "simplified tests" below to see my point.


Success on which exam might indicated a greater amount of "relevant" intelligence?

Clearly, the assessment on the right is a "who can memorize more" test. The shift in thinking is to get away from memorization being more important. THAT, to me, makes sense.



ASSESSMENT IN MATH/SCIENCE


I teach Math. Our gradebooks are set up by KLOs (Key Learning Outcomes). Because our units are very similar to the general outcomes prescribed by the province, this is very clean and easy to do. It allows us to focus on assessing towards a mastery of outcomes.

The shift towards competencies brings up two concerns for me:
  1. Will we lose an element of mastery when we shift away from that focus towards competencies?
  2. How will assessment change in the maths/sciences? (outcome-based courses)
#2 is my biggest question-mark which is worth exploring in more detailing. I still have a document from 2012 from my district's assessment consultant which states our categories need to be:
  • Problem Solve
  • Reason & Connect
  • Communication
If you just take the time to think about what assessments would look like with the above format, I hope you would see the challenges. With every assessment, do I give them a grade on communication?Or do I have assessments that only test problem solving? 

Regardless, I would welcome any knowledge about those logistics as no one has been able to explain what that would look like to - not even the assessment consultant.

I know that the Alberta Assessment Consortium has a new web site and is working hard to address these concerns, so that will be a place to follow. Regardless, when Alberta Education finally arrives at their curriculum, I just hope that current outcome vs. skill based courses are addressed differently, because they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment